Thursday, October 1, 2009

Shoe Shine


Last night on the way home from grabbing dinner, I glanced out my window and saw a homeless man sitting on the ground shining his shoes to beautiful perfection.
I then felt an array of emotions.
First amusement, then irony, sadness and finally, understanding.
I rarely see a homeless person take pride in or value anything apart from the bag that holds their cans.
Perhaps his mind was lost and he was in another time shining his shoes, I don't know but it made me happy to see it nonetheless.
Even someone who has nearly nothing can have a determination to keep one thing that shines.

3 comments:

  1. I just wish I had my damn camera with me, it was a great photo.
    I told Matt, that's it, I am getting a little point and shoot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's the little pieces of beauty in everyday life that I love! Quite possible that he was off to another place in time or a man taking pride in what he has, so well said, it makes a lasting image in my mind to treasure what I have, to shine my life for all that it is - a gift!

    ReplyDelete