Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Foxes

I have this fascination with foxes. Particularly the Red Fox (Vulpes Vulpes) which is native to much of North America - as well as the rest of the world.
I live in a very Fox friendly environment. Tall grass, dense woodland areas, great food and water sources and lots of farmland.
I have lived in the area since birth and for the first time last year I saw, for certain, multiple foxes.(Perhaps it is my older age making me more patient and observant.)
It was a breath taking and exciting experience.
They are beautiful and fascinating creatures. Like graceful little ninjas of the animal world.
Foxes are generally known to be nocturnal creatures but for whatever reason -perhaps field mice were too tempting- the foxes I found were out about in the early morning hours, taking whatever they could find from Mr. Farmers field.

Here are a few things I have been learning about foxes:
-They smell very similar to a skunk because they have scent glands, the skunky smell can usually be associated with courting behavior but is also used for marking territory, food etc.
-Foxes can run up to 30 miles per hour and jump 6 1/2 foott barriers.
-Foxes are known carnivores but also enjoy grasses, nuts, berries, corn and wheat.
-Although a member of the dog family, foxes have some very cat like habits.
-Foxes can hear a watch ticking 40 yards away.
-Foxes have been trained to eat pests in nurseries while not eating the fruit.
-Not all Red Foxes are actually red, they can be red, gray, brown, gold and silver.

Foxes are even guest starring in my dreams. Here is a recent one.

I was traveling down a long gravel road, I looked out the window to the right and saw a small Red Fox running across a field, it was being pursued by a large gray Coyote. I was willing it to escape. Suddenly the Fox and Coyote appeared at the fence right where I was watching and the Fox disappeared and was replaced by my youngest son Ben. I was trying to get out of the car as I watched Ben battle the Coyote, I struggled to get out to no avail and I stayed on the path driving further away until I reached the end and told the driver that we must turn around and go back hastily. When I arrived, I saw Ben and knew he was injured even though no cuts showed on his face. (It was as if my mind knew I couldn't handle seeing him bleeding.) I felt all over his body to make sure he was whole and he told me not to worry the Fox had returned and defeated the Coyote. I looked out into the empty field and knew for certain that after I had looked away, Ben had transformed into the Fox and saved himself. (I told my boys this dream and they both said, wow Mom that is weird and cool!)

Anyway, I very much wish I had my camera when I spotted the Red Fox this last summer, it was glorious and I would have loved to have had that visual forever (not just in my dreams). The sun was coming up behind the trees and casting rays through the branches out onto the tall yellow grass, the golden Fox sat patiently watching and listening for its breakfast. I am going to go on a hunt this summer and see if I can capture it on film.



No comments:

Post a Comment